ILLINOIS GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of GENEALOGY EXPRESS
 

Welcome to
CLARK COUNTY, ILLINOIS
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Crawford & Clark Cos., Illinois
Illustrated
Publ. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers
Lakeside Building
1883

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Wabash Twp. -
EDWIN MADISON, farmer, P. O. Marshall, is a son of Channing Madison, and was born where he now lives in Wabash Township on the 6th of November4, 1839.  He was educated principally in Marshall.  For a time during the war of the rebellion, he was connected with Battery D of the Second Illinois Artillery, and later became a member of Company F of the Thirtieth Illinois Volunteer infantry.  Returning home, he turned his attention to the study of law, and attended law lectures at Ann Arbor, Mich.  He was married in Marshall on the 28th day of December, 1865, to Miss Cecelia Huston of Marshall.  She was born in Ohio January 8, 1843.  They have one daughter, Ada E. Madison, born November 5, 1866, and one son, Relly Madison, born May 11, 1872, and died in infancy.  Subject owns a farm of eighty-nine acres, in Section 18 of Wabash Township, including an orchard of seventeen acres.  He is engaged in farming and fruit-growing.  John Madison was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, June 26, 1825, and came to this county with the family of 1838; and has been a resident ever since, with the exception of two years spent in California.  He married in November, 1853, to Miss Elizabeth Newton, who was born in Cincinnati June 30, 1835, and died in Clark County, Ill., in 1859, having lost one daughter who died in infancy.  John Madison is a full fledged Republican, a member of the I. O. O. F., and a graduate of the law school of Cincinnati, Ohio, but has never entered the practice.  Relly Madison, the oldest son of Channing Madison, was proficient as civil engineer.  He was a Lieutenant in the Mexican war, crossing the plains five times during its progress.  He was an officer in Battery D of the Second Illinois Artillery, and died at Corinth, Miss., on the 21sth day of April, 1863, leaving a wife who still survives him.
Source:  History of Crawford & Clark Cos., Illinois - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers, Lakeside Building - 1883 ~ Page 65
Wabash Twp. -
JAMES MADISON, farmer, P. O. Marshall.  Among the pioneers of Clark County should be mentioned the name of Channing and Maria J. Madison Channing Madison was a native of Rhode Island, and was born on the 13th of February, 1792.  When he was about twelve years old, his parents, Joab and Phbe (Waterman) Madison removed to Saratoga County, N. Y., where he grew to manhood, and where he was educated.  He came from New York to Warren County, Ohio, in 1811, where, on the 21st of July, 1814, he married Miss Maria J. Todd, daughter of Owen Todd, of Kentucky.  She was born in Kentucky, near Lexington, on the 28th day of July, 1793.  From the time of marriage, etc., until 1838, Mr. Madison made his home at various points in Ohio and Indiana, during which time he was engaged as bridge contractor on public works.  In 1838, he was given supervision of bridges through Illinois in the construction of the Cumberland road, and that year settled on the land now occupied by his sons.  He erected the bridge at Big Creek, east of Marshall, in the summer of 1861.  He was an old-line Whig, and afterward a zealous Republican; taking an active though unselfish part in local politics, yet never aspired to a political honor.  He died on the old homestead, near Marshall, on the 22d of December, 1869, the wife of his youth surviving him until December 31, 1880, and died at the mature age of eighty-seven years.  They left, as a legacy to the county, the families of James and Edwin Madison, besides John, who has no family, and one daughter, the widow of Robert Taylor, the first pedagogue of the county.  One son, the oldest of the family was sacrificed on the altar of his country in 1863.  James Madison is the third of his family of six children, and was born in Vevay, Switzerland Co., Ind., on the 28th of January, 1822, and came to Illinois with the family in 1838.  The most part of his early education was obtained in the Marshall Seminary, under the instruction of Dean Andrews.  At the age of twenty-five years, he entered the office of Dr. Silas H. Smith, of Dayton, Ohio, as a medical student, where he continued for three years.  He began the practice of his profession at West Union, Ind., and has continued in the practice to the present time.  Early in the war, he became a member of Battery D, of the Second Illinois Artillery, under his brother, Relly Madison.  He was shortly after appointed to the position of Assistant Surgeon of the Twenty-first Illinois Regiment, which position he filled for six months.  He had the honor of attending Gen. Grant through an attack of malarial fever, and afterward receiving the General's warmest compliments for his faithful and efficient treatment.  He was married in Olney, Ill., Nov. 4, 1848, to Miss Ellen M., Glossbrenner.  They have never been blest with offspring of their own, but have raised no less than eight children, who have found beneath their roof protection and care, and in their affections a hearty parental welcome.  He has a farm of seventy-six acres, in Section 18 of Wabash Township.  Residence, one mile east from Marshall public square.
Source:  History of Crawford & Clark Cos., Illinois - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers, Lakeside Building - 1883 ~ Page 64
Wabash Twp. -
ALEXANDER McGREGOR. Died at his residence in Wabash Township, three miles east of Livingston, Dec. 20, 1877, Alexander McGregor, aged seventy-one years.  He was born in Perth, Scotland, in 1806, and emigrated to America at the age of twenty, and settled in Columbia, S. C.  He was by trade a stone mason, and was engaged as builder on the State House in Columbia.  He came to this county in 1836, where he remained until his death, and during the construction of the National road was employed as contractor on the stone work.  In January, 1846, he was married to Jane Wood.  He leaves three children, viz.:  Joseph, William and Lizzie.  After his marriage, he had been a resident of Wabash Township, where he died, being much attached to his neighborhood and neighbors, contented and happy to remain among them, and greatly devoted to his family.  He became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1854, of which society he was ever after an ornament. Mr. McGregor made but little noise in the busy world during his long and faithful life, yet few men, on leaving it, have left so many heartfelt regrets at his loss; so many kind memories of his upright, righteous life; his noble kindness and gentleness of heart, and so few faults to be apologized for by his friends.  Alexander McGregor was, in the fullest extent, an honest man, whose word was as lasting as the hills, and whose kindness endeared him to all who knew him, and with whom his memory will remain forever green.  Few men were his equals, if any were superior, in moral worth, and, old as he was, his place will be difficult to fill.
Source:  History of Crawford & Clark Cos., Illinois - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers, Lakeside Building - 1883 ~ Page 66
Auburn Twp. -
ALLEN H. MICHAEL, farmer, P. O. Clark Centre, who has been long and favorably known in Auburn Townshpi, was born in Rush County, Ind., Oct. 11, 1828.  His father, John Michael, was a soldier in the war of 1812; was married in Ohio and became one of the pioneers of the Hosier State.  His first wife died in Indiana, leaving six children.  He was subsequently married to Margaret Consore, a native of Pennsylvania, but of German parentage.  As a result of this marriage, there were nine children, Allen H. being the fifth.  His father died in Missouri in 1876.  The mother is living in Kansas in her eighty-fourth year.  Mr. Allen H. Michael came to Clark County, Ill., with his parents when twelve years old, and has resided in the county since.  He describes the school-house in which he received his early education as being of round logs, slab benches, dirt floor and clapboard door.  He was married in Clark County on the 27th of March, 1853, to Miss Celia Hurst.  She was born Feb. 23, 1832, in Edgar County, Ill., but principally raised in Clark County.  They have a family of eight children, all born in this county, viz.:  Charles, born Jan. 5, 1854, and married to Susan Cloe - they have one child, Cora Bell, born Sept. 21, 1877; James A., born May 2, 1855, and married Dora Williams, one son - Hartford, born June 10, 1882; Clara J., wife of Joseph James, was born July 22, 1858; Margaret V., wife of J. F. Taylor, was born June 17, 1850 - they have one son, Harry, born Sept. 26, 1882; Sarah B., born Aug. 27, 1862; Mary F., born Oct. 27, 1864; John R., born Dec. 23, 1866; Elisha, born Jan. 5, 1869.  In 1857, Mr. Michael bought his farm of R. B. Sutherland.  He has sixty acres in Section 35 and twenty acres in Section 2, of Auburn Township.  Mr. Michael, wife and six children are members of the Baptist Church.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity; has served one term as Deputy County Sheriff, and for some years has filled the office of Justice of the Peace.  He was a member of Company H, Forty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and accompanied Gen. Sherman on his march to the sea.
Source:  History of Crawford & Clark Cos., Illinois - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers, Lakeside Building - 1883 ~ Page
Wabash Twp. -
L. MURPHY, farmer, P. O. Terre Haute, one of the first farmers of Clark County, and owner of the Willow farm, in Wabash Township, was born in Lincoln County, Ky., June 3, 1815.  His father, Thomas Murphy, was born in the same county, on the 9th of November, 1788, and his grandfather, John Morgan, was a native of Ireland, where he grew to manhood, and afterward became a soldier in the British Army.  He came to America with the army in the time of the Revolution, but in company with thirty of of his comrades, deserted the English standard and made their way to Vincennes, Ind., from where they took a Southern course and made a settlement in Lincoln County, Ky.  After settling here, Mr. Morgan changed his name, taking the name of Murphy, the maiden name of his mother.  Here he married a woman named Sarah Turner, of Virginia, and raised a family, of whom Thomas Murphy, was the youngest.  Thomas Murphy received the benefits to be derived from the pioneer schools of Kentucky.  He was married in his native county on the 15th of August, 1811, to Miss China Stephens, who was born in Virginia May 19,m 1788.  They raised a family of ten children, of whom Liberty Murphy is the third, and of  whom all but one grew to maturity.  Thomas Murphy removed his family from Kentucky to Crawford County, Ill., and settled near Palestine, in 1826, where the parents spent the rest of their lives.  The father died Mar. 17, 1737, and the mother died in Hutsonville, Crawford County, February 25, 1853.  Liberty Murphy was married in Crawford County, in March, 1835, to Miss Margaret Seaney, daughter of Samuel and Catherine Seaney.  She was born in Crawford County, in 1819, and died June 29, 1837, leaving one daughter, Sarah Jane Murphy.  After the death of his wife, Mr. Murphy returned to the scenes of his boyhood, where he took the trade of cabinet-maker, at which he worked some years, principally in Crawford County, Ill.  He was married to his present wife, Miss Cynthia M. Hall, at Darwin, on the 24th of November, 1840.  She is a daughter of Elijah and Eunice Hall, and was born in Genesee County, N. Y., February 13, 1822.  She came to this county, from Vigo County, Ind., with her parents in 1836.  Here her mother died September, 1845, and her father in February, 1846, leaving a family of ten children, of whom Mrs. Murphy is the eighth.  Mr. Murphy has a family of five children, but one of whom is living:  A. E. Murphy, born April 8, 1843, and died December 16, 1844; Adelbert B. Murphy born February 8, 1846, and died November 15, 1863; Helen M. Murphy, born May 3, 1850, died May 28, 1851; John Franklin Murphy, born October 23, 1860.  Mr. Murphy located on what is known as the Willow farm, consisting 320 acres, in 1854.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
Source:  History of Crawford & Clark Cos., Illinois - Illustrated - Publ. Chicago: O. L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers, Lakeside Building - 1883 ~ Page 66

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
CLARK COUNTY, ILLINOIS
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
STATE OF ILLINOIS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is MY MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights