| THE early
history of Maryland is so closely interwoven with
that of the county which provided it with its final
seat of government, that there is hardly an old
graveyard in Anne Arundel but yields a record of
A survey of the city of Annapolis in 1718, gives to the
Church Circle an area of 94,025 feet. At that
time all the citizens were nominally parishioners of
St. Anne's, and the churchyard was their common
burial ground. It was more than twice as large
as it is now, extending as far as the present Court
House, and into the grounds of the Executive
Mansion. By the year 1786, every inch of the
space was full, and much of it had been used over
and over again. A piece of land, given to the
parish by Elizabeth Bordley about the
year 1790, supplied the pressing need for a larger
graveyard, and this, until within recent years, was
always known as St. Anne's cemetery.
Most of the bodies around the church were removed to
the new place of burial; and in course of time the
churchyard itself became confined within its present
limits. Some of the broken gravestones have found
their way into the street crossings near St. Anne's;
others have been utilized in various ways. In
one case fragments have been made to serve the
purpose of steps to the wing of the Brice
through the courtesy of Mr. Martin,
owner of that historic mansion, were removed from
their position and turned over for the purpose of
investigation. On the under side of one of
them were discovered the words: "died July 14th,
1765." The rest of the inscription had become
obliterated, but by searching among the obituaries
of the Maryland Gazette, a probable clew was
found by which to reconstruct the whole.
"Sunday last died here of smallpox at the house of
her brother, Mr. Chief Justice
Brice, Mrs. Anne Denton,
widow, a gentlewoman of pious and exemplary life and
conversation." The date of the Gazette
where this extract appears is Thursday, July 18,
John Brice, the Chief Justice mentioned
above, was the son of John Brice of
Haversham, England. He outlived his sister
about one year. Besides the position he holds in
local family tradition, he is among those to whom
complimentary allusions are made by Governor
Sharpe in his correspondence with Lord
Baltimore preserved in the Maryland archives.
Designated by his Excellency as a man of " Good
Abilities and Fortune," he is recommended to the
Lord Proprietor as a gentleman fitted to fill the
vacancy in the Council left by the death of one of
its members. This position, however, he never
held, as he died shortly afterward.
To return to St. Anne's and its funeral records, one
reads in the Register of 1707—the oldest volume
preserved—of the burial of such distinguished
personages as "His Excellency John Seymour,
Capt. Gen., also Governour of the Province and Vice
Admiral," August 5, 1709; of " Marylandia, daughter
of His Excellency John Hart, Governour,"
September, 1716; of "Madam Margaret
Lasonby, aunt of His Excellency Charles
Calvert, Governour," August 8, 1722.
Among the interments mentioned is also that of Capt.
Ezekiel Gillis, which took place on
January 9, 1749, at Mrs. Hill's, South River Neck.
This entry points to the
existence of an old burial ground which so far has
escaped identification by members of the Memorial
In the cemetery of St. Anne's are to be found many
names familiar to the older residents of the
capital, as well as to the kindred families
throughout the state; such, for instance, as
Calvert, Mackubin, Randall, Steele, Murray,
Maynadier, Steuart, Shaw, Nicholson, Mayo, Brewer,
Harwood, Grammar and Munroe. The
oldest date is 1763. It is preserved on a slab
inscribed with the initials M. & E. In
point of age that of Fr. de la Landelle, a
French officer, comes next. He was born
in Brittany, France, and died in 1800. A third
without dates bears the names of John Kilty
and William Kilty, "Brothers, and
revolutionary officers" and on the title-page of The
Landholders Assistant, printed early in the
nineteenth century, and appearing in nearly every
gentleman's library of that day, we find the same
name perpetuated. Besides these are other
ancient stones of later date:
Osborne Ridgely, born 1742, died
Thomas Duckett, died in 1806 in his
Miss Elizabeth Fulks, died in
1830 in her 73rd. year.
Mrs. Mary Miller, died in 1830
in her 71st. year;
Sarah Ann Terry, died August
29th, 1841 aged 68 years;
John T. Barber, Esq., died April 6th, 1822,
in the 51st. year of his age.
Honorable Peter Rich, late a
delegate from Caroline County, departed this life on
the 30th day of January A. D. 1805.
It appears that the
monument to the above was erected by the "Honourable
the General Assembly of Maryland" as a testimonial
of respect to the memory of the deceased.
The Bordleys lie in a family vault.
Thomas, the progenitor of the family in
Maryland, was attorney-general of the Province from
1715 to 1726. He was born in Yorkshire,
England, about the year 1682 and came to Annapolis
about the year 1694, with an elder brother, the
Rev. Stephen Bordley, who in 1697 was duly
installed as second rector of St.
Paul's Parish, Kent county.
Thomas studied law and was considered to be the
first lawyer of his day. He married, first,
Rachel Beard of Annapolis, who died in
1722. Four of their children lived to
Elizabeth and John. On September 1,
1723, he married, secondly, the Widow
Frisby. Their sons were named respectively
Thomas, Matthias and John
Beale, the last of whom was born in February,
1726, old style, four months after his father's
death, which occurred while on a visit to England
for his health.
A portrait painted by Gustavus Hesselius
before he sailed, represents him as thin and pallid
and dressed in gown and wig.
Although the gift of land made by Elizabeth
Bordley was conveyed to the vestry of St. Anne's
parish, its old name of St. Anne's cemetery has been
lost through its incorporation of late years with
graveyards of other denominations. It is now
more popularly known as the " City Cemetery."
Clustered about the doorway and sides of St. Anne's
church, Annapolis, are to be found several ancient
tombs of the tabular kind, placed there in recent
years to insure their preservation, also others
erected in the year 1826, to replace the original
ones that had occupied the same spot at a much
earlier period. To the right is that of Maj.
John Hammond, one of the commissioners
appointed in 1694 "to survey and lay out the said
town into lots, streets and lanes." It stood
formerly in a field at the head of " Hammond's
Creek," an estuary of the Severn river, about three
miles from Annapolis. Amos Garrett's
tomb occupies a corresponding position to the left,
while those of Henry Ridgely and
Nicholas Gassaway complete the number of
the first group. The inscriptions read as
Here lieth interred the
body of Major General John
Hammond who departed this life the twenty-fourth
day of November 1707 in the sixty-fourth year of his
Here lieth interred the body of Mr. Amos Garrett
of the City of Annapolis in Anne Arundel County of
the Province of Maryland, Merchant. Son of
Mr. James and Mrs. Sarah
Garrett late of St. Olives Street, Southwark
then in the Kingdom of England now a part of Great
Britain who departed this life March 8th 1707.
Here Lyeth the body of Mr. Henry
Ridgely who was borne the 3rd of October 1669
and departed this life on ye 19th day of March
Here Lyeth Interred The Body of Nicholas
Gassaway Son of Coll Nicholas Gassaway
who Departed This Life The 10 Day of March Anno
Domini, And In The 31 Year of His Age.
In the second group
appear the following:
Here lies the remains of
Rebecca late wife of Daniel Dulany
of Annapolis and fourth daughter of Colonel
Walter Smith. She faithfully and
diligently discharged her duty in all relations of
Daughter and Wife, Mother, Friend and Neighbor.
She was virtuous and charitable. She lived an
unblemished life and died universally lamented the
18th of March 1737 Aged 40 years. (Coat of Arms.)
Sacred to the Memory of Margaret Carroll
Relict of Charles Carroll and daughter
of Matthew Tilghman. She was
born on the 13th day of Jan. 1742 and died on the
14th day of March A. D. 1817.
In Memory of Benjamin Tasker Jun.
Esq late Secretary of Maryland Who died on
the 17 Oct 1760 in the 39th year of his age.
In Memory of William Bladen Esq. Who died
the 9th of August Anno Domini 1718 in the 48th year
of his Age.
Here are deposited the remains of the Honourable
Benjamin Tasker who departed this life
the 19th of June A. D. 1768 in the 78th year of his
Age, which though of a constitution naturally weak
and tender, he attained through the efficiency of an
exemplary temperance. At the time of his
decease he was President of the Council a station he
had occupied for thirty-two years. The offices
of Agent and receiver general and judge of the
prerogative Court he successively exercised.
Such were his qualities, his probity, equanimity,
candor, benevolence, that no one was more respected
more beloved. So diffusive and pure his
humanity, so singular the influence of his
deportment that he was no one's enemy nor any one
These tombs are erected in the year 1826 in the place
of the original ones, which have decayed, by the
liberality and filial affection of Mrs.
Ann Dulany of the City of London, still
longer to perpetuate the memory of those of her
respected ancestors whose remains are deposited
Several years ago it was
proposed to have the Greenberry tombs
transferred from the Greenberry's Point farm
same shelter, but here an unexpected difficulty
arose, and one that had its humorous side.
The " Farm," having had its ups and downs (like most of
the old estates), had finally passed into the hands
of a worthy farmer, who provided the " Ancient City
" with milk. Being approached about the
removal of the stones, he offered no objection, but
his wife opposed it vigorously. Upon being
questioned as to the motive of her refusal, she
answered that the stones were bought with the place,
and she did not intend to part with them as they
were her's and "company" for her! She then
explained that people came from all parts of the
United States to visit them and she evidently
appreciated the social intercourse thus provided her
in her seclusion. As no descendant of the former
chancellor and "acting" Governor has appeared to
dispute her right, the stones, which are not thought
to mark the graves of the departed, have been
allowed to remain, though a movement has been set on
foot to inclose them where they are, in order to
protect their crumbling surfaces from the greed of
merciless relic hunters.
Col. Nicholas Greenberry was also
one of the commissioners appointed for the laying
out of Anne Arundel Town. This community,
originally designated as the "Town at Procter's,"
received the name of Annapolis in 1695, when its
life as a naval station began.
The inscriptions on the
Here lieth Interred The Body of Colin
Nicholas Greenberry Esqr Who
departed this Life The 17 Day of December 1697
Aetatis Suae 70.
Here Lieth Interred The Body of Mrs. Ann
Greenberry Wh Departed This Life The 27th Day
of April 1698. Aetatis Suae 50.
. . . Lyes interred the . . . Roger New[man]
. . . born at London ... in Talbot County in ... 25
years and . . .
The 14 of ... 1704.
Newman's will, dated June 14, 1704, and probated
June 28, he appointed his friend, Charles
his executor. This trust, for reasons best
known to himself, the latter declined, and yet we
find Newman's tomb, or at least what remains
of it, near those of Greenberry's parents.
Tradition says that the old meetinghouse of the Puritan
settlers stood somewhere hereabouts—on
Greenberry's Point, in fact—and was accessible
by water to those who lived miles apart by land.
It is possible that a graveyard surrounded this
meetinghouse. However that may be, these
tombs, which no longer cover the dust of those whose
names they bear, form an interesting group to
At the top of the Newman slab, otherwise much
broken, is an elaborate escutcheon still distinct.
Strange to say it combines the Bennett
coat-of-arms with that of the Lloyds— the
three demi-lions of the one and the lion rampant of
the other. In Heraldry in America, Zieber
gives these arms as " on the tomb of Newberry,
1704, near the Greenberry tombs." This,
of course, is a mistake. It might not be
unreasonable to suppose that a fine slab, such as
the Newman stone undoubtedly was, had
survived the Puritan graveyard of the earlier
period, and that it had simply been recut with
Roger Newman's name, when a stone was
needed to mark his burial place. Knowing as we
do how closely the names of Lloyd and
Bennett were associated with the arrival of the
Puritans in Maryland, it would not be irrational to
infer that this escutcheon pointed to the union of
the two families in previous times, and that this
stone had covered the remains of some relative of an
earlier generation, buried near the old meetinghouse
on Greenberry's Point. In fact, unless
it be known to the contrary, it might have been
originally devoted to the memory of Richard
Bennett, the first husband of Henrietta
Maria Neale of revered memory, the
commissioner's son who was drowned while quite a
young man. The date of the third Richard's
birth is given as September 16,
Anthony Stewart lived at " Mt. Stewart,"
an estate which a century earlier had belonged to
the Burgess family. It is owned
at present by the Steuarts. In the
spelling of their name we find a departure from the
original, showing French influence. Afterwards
a still further change occurred, when the
descendants of the royal house of Scotland mounted
the English throne as Stuarts.
Anthony Stewart married a daughter of
James Dick, else where styled "Merchant of
London Town." His wife is buried at All
Hallows in her father's lot. Here lies also
Margaret Dick, the wife of James,
who died October 23, 1766, aged 65 years. Her
virtues are recorded in Latin and her tomb, with
that of her daughter Margaret, who died
November 12, 1762, are both in a good state of
In the parish records of All Hallows, South River, we
find the following account of James Dick
given by himself: " Be it known to all whom it may
concern, That I the subscriber James Dick,
heretofore of Edinburg in Scotland, Merchant,
Burgess and Gild Brother, and son
of Thomas Dick formerly of said city,
Merchant, Bailey and Dean of Gild, Did
come into the Province of Maryland on or about the
first day of June, in the year one thousand seven
hundred and thirty-four (1734) and settle in London
Town on South River in the Province aforesaid.
That in the year one thousand seven hundred and
forty (1740) I made a trip home .... bringing back
wife Margaret " &c. &c.
The name of James Dick also appears on
the list of the South River Club members in 1742.
He was a member of the firm of Wm. Lux
and Co., in 1767, along with William Lyon of
Baltimore county and Charles Graham of
One of the handsomest tombs in this churchyard is a
large one of the tabular order, bearing the simple
inscription " My
In the old parish churchyard of St. Margaret's,
Westminster, on Severn Heights, a few tombstones are
still to be seen clustering about the foundations of
the church, long since destroyed by fire.
Governor Eden is supposed to be buried
here. He was the last of the Provincial
governors and was obliged to return to England at
the breaking out of the Revolutionary war.
That he should have died here and have found in so
inhospitable a soil a final resting place, seems
strange, but tradition hath it so.
In St. Stephen's
churchyard, Millersville, Severn parish, memorials
of a later date as follows, are found:
John A. Reigle born 1786, died Feb. 28th, 1829.
Eliza, wife of John A. Reigle born 1799,
died Nov. 20th 1854.
William H. Turton bom April 1st. 1778 died Nov.
Eleanor, wife of William H. Turton born
Dec. 21st. 1783, died June 28th 1856.
In Memory of Dr. Asa Anderson died
Sept 13th 1847 aged 55 years, 9 months, 23 days.
Genl Osborne Williams died Dec
28th 1819 in the 62nd year of his age.
Elizabeth wife of
Genl Osborne Williams died Mar.
18th 1819, in the 61st year of her age.
In the Baldwin
Memorial Methodist churchyard are found:
Rachel A. Woodward Born Nov. 19, 1807 Died Oct
Eleanor R. Woodward Born May 6th 1810 died July
Martha R. Woodward Born May 28 1812 died May 17
Henry Woodward, Son of Wm Woodward Jr.
Born April 22, 1770 Died Oct 26th 1822. Eleanor
wife of Henry, Born Sept 29, 1772. Died Aug
In memory of Henry Wm Woodward,
son of Henry, Born July 30th, 1803 died in
Stewart, Georgia, Oct 14th, 1841.
Abraham Woodward son of Wm. Born
in London 1690 Died in this Country 1744.
Wm Woodward Sr. Born 1717 Died 1790. Wm
Woodward Jr. son of W. W. Sr. Born 1742
In memory of Mary Pitts Sewall wife of
Francis Baldwin Born June 10, 1791 Died
Dec 29 1848.
In memory of Francis Baldwin Born Nov 27, 1777
Died May 27, 1836.
In memory of Mrs Sarah Woodward Who Departed
this Life Dec 18, 1883 Aged 31 years.
Maria Gambrill Relict of Augustine
Gambrill who died 30th of Nov 1834 in the 67
year of her age.
Augustine Gambrill who Died 29th of Dec
1830 In the 58 year of his age.
Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth Woodward
who departed this life Feb 14, 1847, aged 56 years
Dear be this grave and blest this sod
That shields a Christian Mother's clay
Her spirit's gone to enjoy its Lord
Where life shall last without decay.
Near Millersville is an
old Hammond graveyard, where several distinguished
members of the family are buried. Philip,
son of Charles, Speaker of the Assembly, and
also Treasurer of the Western Shore, died 1760; his
wife Rachel, daughter of John Brice,
born 1710, died 1786; Col. Rezin Hammond,
their son, a noted patriot, born 1745, died 1809;
Maj. Charles Hammond, another son,
died 1777 and lies buried in an unmarked grave;
possibly Matthias, a third son, conspicuous in civic
affairs, also Mordecai and Isaac,
Captains of the 7th and 8th companies in the
Maryland troop at Long Island.'
At "Summer Hill," the home of the late Col.
Nicholas Worthington, about three miles south
of Crownsville, are buried the following members of
the Worthington family:
Brice John Worthington, son of
Nicholas and Catherine
Worthington, died Nov. 14, 1837, aged 73 years,
9 months and 14 days.
Anne Lee, consort of Brice John
Worthington, died Sept. 27, 1824, aged 34
years and 8 days.
Elizabeth, daughter of Nicholas and
Catherine Worthington, died April 29,
1820, aged 53 years, 10 months and 2 days.
John G., son of Nicholas and
Catherine Worthington, died Feb. 14,
aged 33 years and 4 days.
Nicholas, son of Nicholas and
Catherine Worthington, died Dec. 6, 1782
[1792 ?] aged 25 years, 1 month and 11 days.
Worthington, died Nov. 1, 1793, aged 59
years, 7 months.
Worthington relict of Col. Nicholas
Worthington, died Dec. 8, 1793, aged 61
years, 6 months and 18 days.
Ann Mackubin, wife of Dr.
Richard Mackubin and daughter of Brice
John Worthington, Esq., died
Feb. 22, 1848, in her 30th year.
Worthington, daughter of Brice,
John and Anne Lee
Worthington, died May 2, 1835, aged 19 years, 5
months and 23 days.