Welcome to
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY
New Hampshire

History of Hancock, Hillsborough Co., NH
1764 - 1889
by William Willis Hayward
Publ:  Lowell, Mass.  Vox Populi Press: S. W. Huse & Co.
1889
TABLE OF CONTENTS

    PAGE
CHAPTER I. - Early Proprietors - Incorporation 1
CHAPTER II. - Hancock Centennial 8
CHAPTER III. - Topographical Items 55
CHAPTER IV. - The Flora of Hancock 60
CHAPTER V. - Early Settlers 67
CHAPTER VI. - Sources of Income 74
CHAPTER VII. - Annals of the Town 85
CHAPTER VIII. - Annals of the Town (continued) 127
CHAPTER IX. - Annals of the Town (concluded) 154
CHAPTER X. - Church History 188
CHAPTER XI. - Marriages 207
CHAPTER XII. - Schools and Education 224
CHAPTER XIII. - Military History 234
CHAPTER XIV. - Societies 242
CHAPTER XV. - HANCOCK VILLAGE, Cemeteries, etc. 247
CHAPTER XVI. - Roads and Bridges 251
CHAPTER XVII. - Society Land 275
CHAPTER XVIII. - BENNINGTON 280
  GENEALOGICAL REGISTER 295
  APPENDIX 1049
  INDEX 1069

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

  William Willis Hayward Frontispiece
  Map of Society Land 4
  Centennial Committee
     Orland Eaton, Joshua Stanley Lakin, John Peabody Hills.
8
  First Meeting-Hosue, etc. 19
  John Whitcomb 24
  William Clark 34
  Josiah Lafayette Seward 37
  Daniel Goodhue 47
  View of Centennial 55
  Depot, Pond, and Village 57
  Town Map 67
  Plan of Pews 109
  Present Meeting-house and Town Hall 158
  Ebenezer Hubbard 168
  Abijah Hadley 173
  Adolphus Carter Whitcomb 174
  Archibald Burgess 195
  Asahel Bigelow 198
  Hervey Gulick 200
  Hancock Common in 1840 229
  Whitcomb Library Building 242
  Village, from the east 247
  Village Plan 248
  Hancock Junction 275
  Bennington, from Darrah Hill 283
  Goodell Co.'s Works 285
  Algernon B. Baldwin 322
  Mr. and Mrs. Robert G. Bell 340
  Shepherd L. Bowers 377
  John Brooks 397
  Brooks Group
     John, Zophar Willard, Xenophon W., and Maro Spalding Brooks
399
  Arnold B. Burtt 422
  Ninian Clark Place 442
  Reed Paige Clark 444
  Avery Monroe Clark 445
  John Freeman Colby 455
  Francis Kimball Cragin 466
  John Addison Cummings 477
  James Davis 492
  Joseph Davis 506
  John Dodge 522
  Mrs. Sarah Miller (Duncan) Upton 536
  Christy Duncan 539
  Richard Emerson 561
  Joseph Hills 656
  James Holmes 658
  John Hosley 667
  Ephraim Knight 700
  Mr. and Mrs. Richard Taft 706
  Elijah Knight 718
  David Low 740
  Morrison Coat-of-Arms 776
  David Patten 800
  Enoch D. Putnam 827
  Charles Alexander Robbe 837
  Josiah Stone 885
  John Symonds 893
  Mark True 929
  Ebenezer Ware 950
  Residence of Ebenezer Ware 951
  Charles Wason 980
  Ephraim Weston 988
  William Weston 993
  Amos Whittemore 1019
  Jacob Abbot Wood 1032
  Homestead of Salmon Wood, Etc. 1039

ERRATA:

  - line 6, read "sister town" without the emphasis indicated by the italics. Page 6
  - line 17, for "Mrs. Davis," read Miss Dais," Page 12
  - line 2, insert "The success of this part of the centennial programme is largely due to Miss Antoinette Davis and Mrs. H. R. Patten, Messrs. A. H. Knight and H. F. Robinson. Page 13
  - line 3, for "Mrs. Simonds," read "Mrs. Symonds." Page 14
  - line 11, omit "a Mr. Ferguson." Page 17
  - line 16, for "Aaron Barker," read "Aaron Parker."  Same page, line 17, for "Thomas Matthews," read "Thomas McMaster."  Same page, line 19, for "Daniel simes," read "David Ames." Page 20
  - line 5.  The number lawyers, etc., were underestimated by the speaker. Page 48
  - line 2, for "thee," read "the."  Same page, line 3, for "the," read "thee." Page 50
  - line 29, for "it is impossible," read "it is almost impossible." Page 56
  - line 14, after "Jack's," insert "or Warren's." Page 58
  - line 7, before the word "Ferguson," insert "and."  Same page, line 12, omit "after passing through a corner of Peterboro it re-enters the town." Page 59
  - The map of the town is faulty in making Ferguson brook pass into Peterboro'.  We were led into this error by copying from a section of the Hillsboro county map of 1858.  At least two houses, standing in 1858, were accidentally omitted - one known as the "Curtis Johnson house," in the north part of the town, and the "Morrison house," near Bradford's mill.  A house built later, near H. W. Ware's (see Kelley), should have been inserted, and also Dea. Asa Wood's new house. Page 67
  - line 2, for "probable," read "possible."  Same page, line 24, omit "if at all." Page 69
  - line 32, for "Prentiss," read "Prentice." Page 82
  - line 2, for "Mr. Spaulding," read "Mrs. Spaulding." Page 83
  - line 3, for "No. V," read "No. IV." Page 84
  - for note at the bottom of the page read "This location was the site of Pine Ridge cemebery." Page 93
  - note at bottom of the page, for "$50," read "$0.50." Page 161
  - line 34, "Symonds," read "Simonds." Page 194
  - line 18, for "Symonds," read "Simonds." Page 198
  - line 22, for "Aug. 10," read "Sept. 10." Page 251
  - note, for "about 1863," read "in 1863."  In same note, for "an earlier date, "read "in 1852."  
  -explanatory note, for "the time is complete," read "the line is complete." Page 297
  - line 8, for "north-east," read "south-east." Page 299
  - line 28, for "Aug. 8, 1875," read "Aug. 8, 1795." Page 307
  - line 6, for "Newport," read "Newport, Vt.  Mr. Balcom now owns the house marked 'M. Miller,' which he has improved.  One child, Florence Lillian4, b. July 6, 1888." Page 321
  - line 3, for "Marlboro'," read "Marlboro', Mass." Page 335
  - Ambrose C. Blood res. at what is now the "Forest house," and d. there. Page 352
  - under portrait, for "Zenophon," read "Xenophon."  Same page, line 33, for "Alverey," read "Alverez." Page 399
  - line 5.  There is a mistake here in regard to the date of the birth o f Mary Abigail Clark.  No date was given me, and this was copied from the History of Amherst.  I learn that she was b. Mar. 12, 1806. Page 440
  - line 38, for "1827, read "April 28, 1829." Page 441
  - line 38, for "1827, read "April 28, 1829." Page 441
  - under portrait, for "Arnold Burtt, "read "Arnold B. Burtt." Page 422
  - line 9, for "Kitty," read "Hitty." Page 447
  - line 20, for "Boston, Mass.," read "Waltham, Mass." Page 461
  - line 2, for "Ezra," read "Jabez." Page 465
  - line 18, for "Lizzie J.," read "Lizzie I." Page 471
  - line 11, for "Alonzo Hubbard," read "Alonzo Hubbell, a Union soldier."  Same page, last line but one, for "Samuel5 [5]," read "Samuel5 [4]." Page 551
  - line 14, for "1886," read "1885." Page 569
  - line 11, for "Maj. John Gray3," read "Maj.-gen. John Gray3." Page 584
  - line 15, for "Mary," read "Sarah." Page 589
  - line 26, after "res." insert "at place marked 'A. Hall.' " Page 613
  - line 14, for "Crawell," read "Crowell."  Same page, line 30, for "Aug. 14," read "Aug. 17."  Same page, line 31, for "Sept. 29," read "Sept. 23."  Same page, line 34 for "Dublin, "read "New Ipswich." Page 648
  - Doctor Kittredge res. first at place marked "Mrs. Marshall," in the village; later at place marked "O. Nelson," which he built and where he d. Page 698
  - Add to note "and a sister of Noah Wheeler. (q. v.)" Page 711
  - line 15, for "Dec. 1809," read "April 3, 1810." Page 726
  - line 4, after "Sally2," add "was a prominent teacher in her youth, and once had Franklin Pierce, afterwards president of the United States, for a pupil." Page 738

---------

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
NEW HAMPSHIRE
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
U. S. GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

US GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is Our MISSION

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

This page was created by Sharon Wick on March 22, 2014
All rights reserved.