Nebraska Genealogy Express

A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to

Adams County, Nebraska
History & Genealogy
 

Source:
PAST AND PRESENT
of
ADAMS COUNTY, NEBRASKA

Judge William R. Burton,
Supervising Editor
David J. Lewis,
Assistant Editor
- ILLUSTRATED -
-----
VOLUME II
-----
Chicago
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
1916

CHAPTER XXVI

TOWNSHIPS
pg. 389 -

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to TABLE of CONTENTS >

INLAND

     The grain elevator operated by the Farmers Grain & Supply Company, on the northwest corner of the southwest quarter of section 12 in Blaine Township, is all that remains of the first attempt to build a town in Adams County along the line of the Burlington.  The town was called Inland and was laid out by the South Platte Township Company in 1871.  Previously, George Sluyter, William Janes, Volney Janes and George Knapp settled upon the townsite.
     A number of stores were built at Inland, that of Tom Shea among others.  A two story frame schoolhouse was built and other signs of a future town marked the spot.  The development of Hastings put an end to the career of Inland, and about 1878 the railroad station was removed three miles east to the present town of Inland in Clay County.  In the plan of the Burlington, Inland followed Harvard in alphabetical order, and until the development of Hastings was assured, the railroad favored Inland while it ignored Hastings.  For many years the elevator was operated by Michael Halloran on whose farm it was located, and the place was referred to as either "Old Inland" or "Halloran."

BRICKTON

     Brickton, 6½ miles south of Hastings, on the road forming the western boundary of the city, was never a real town, although at one time there were there a group of about a dozen houses.  This period was between 1886 and 1890.  Hastings capitalists had started a brick yard in Brickton and had equipped their place with rather elaborate steam-driven machinery for the manufacture of brick.  Between thirty and forty men were employed and lived in the group of houses.  There was also a store.  Parts of the machinery remained

Page 390 -
at the location for several years after the brick plant was abandoned.  The finances of the brick plant were involved in the affairs of the City National Bank, and when that institution failed, the brick business failed with it.  One of the stirring events recalled in the early days of Brickton is a prize fight between "Lou" Carroll and Billy "Tweester."
     In 1906 W. H. Ferguson began operating in sand at Brickton.  Mr. Ferguson disposed of the sand business to the E. Stockham Grain Company, who still carry it on.  About a carload of sand per day is removed from the pits.  A. H. Farrens also operated Brickton sand pits for a time.

LEROY.

     Leroy is located on the south side of the Blue River on the southwest quarter of section 25 in Hanover Township.  It is 3½ miles northeast of Ayr and nine miles south of Hastings.  Before the building of the Kansas City & Omaha Railroad the point was known as Millington, because it was here that Dyer's Mill and located.  John Dyer began the erection of the mill in 1872 and by 1874 it was completed and in operation.  John Dyer associated with him in this milling business his nephews, Elbridge and True Dyer.
     The mill was a large wooden structure operated by water power and having three runs of burrs.  For many years it was kept very busy, farmers from miles around bringing their wheat to be made into flour.  A store was operated a short time, but in 180 was moved to Ayr by Kieth and Kress.
     When the railroad was built in 1887, the single store that Leroy still has was built by John Marshall and John A. Frank, both of whom now live in Ayr.  The postoffice was established in this store and John Marshall was the first postmaster.
     Mr. Frank sold his interest in the store to his partner in about six months.  Mr. Marshall conducted the store until about 1900 and then sold it to his son, Robert.  It came back into the possession of Mr. Marshall, who finally sold it to Cal Dreibilbis of Hastings.  Mr. Dreibilbis sold it to the present proprietor, Mr. Liesveldt.
    
Because of its location near the river, which afforded shade trees, Leroy has been quite well known throughout the county as a pleasure resort.  The Dyers kept a half dozen boats on the river, and built a dance hall.  The place was patronized from Hastings and all surrounding points for many years, ending about 1903 or 1904.  In the summer of 1898 vaudeville was an attraction offered.  The large station which was first built by the Kansas City & Omaha was removed to Pauline about 1902.

Page 391 -

HANSEN.

     Hansen is the first station north of Hastings on the St. Joseph & Grand Island railroad, and had its origin when the line was built from Hastings to Grand Island.  The first house built in the town was the railway station in the fall of 1879  That fall, J. L. Evans erected a store building and put in a stock of general merchandise, and B. F. Ford put up a store and engaged in the grocery and hardware business.  S. L. Loucks built a hotel at about the same time, which was called the Hansen House.  The next business established was the lumber yard of Paine Brothers, of Wisconsin, which was under the charge of James McGregor.
     From the earliest days, Hansen has been a good grain and livestock shipping station, because it is the market place for a very productive area of farming land.   A grain station was erected by Hansen, Gregg & Company in August, 1879, and another was put in by Oswald Oliver at about the same.  These early stations were not elevators, but were known as "shovel stations."  Inclined approaches attaining a height of about twenty-five feet were built, and upon these farmers hauled their wagons filled with grain to the bins at the top, where they were unloaded with scoop shovels.
     In 1880, W. L. Baker took the management of the Oliver gain business and some time later became manager of the business of Hansen, Gregg & Company.  Mr. Baker conducted a coal business of his own and erected a building in which he opened a hardware store, carrying on the grain business at the same time.  The shovel house of Hansen, Gregg & Company was the forebear of the present north elevator, Mr. Oliver's of the south.  For many years John Wilson was the owner and operator of the north elevator.  About 1885, the original lumber yard was combined with the Doniphan yard and removed to that point.  The present lumber yard was started by the Barr Lumber Company of Hastings in 1904 and passed to the Yost Lumber Company when the latter bought out the Barr Lumber Company in Hastings.
     In 1881, the store erected by J. L. Evans was purchased by Jacob Smith.  It subsequently changed hands many times.  Smith was followed by Mr. Lamb who in turn sold to Lucius Ware, who eventually sold to Ed Heminover.  After Mr. Heminover went out of business the store building was vacant for a considerable time and then was rented by the Ancient Order United Workmen, who used it as a hall until it was destroyed by fire on Easter Sunday, 1901.
     In 1884, a store building was erected by a Methodist minister, the

Page 392 -
Rev. Mr. Calvert, who operated the store about a year and then sold it to Elmer Sims, now of Hastings. Mr. Sims conducted the store about two years and then sold.  The store was then purchased successively by Z. Stone, Margaret Stone and John Stratton. Mr. Stratton was the proprietor when the store was burned on Easter Sunday, 1901.  Following the destruction of the two stores the Ancient Order United Workmen at once erected a brick building, using the upper story for their hall and renting the store below.  Mr. Stratton reopened in the new store room but eventually sold his business to Nellie Vandling and her father.  George Hatch, who came from Harvard, was the next proprietor until he sold to O. A. Cain.   In 1914 a corporation composed of John Kieth, Tom Winn, Homer Loucks, George Durkee, Theo. Stock, Lem Clark, O. B. Shafer, H. C. Redman, W. O. Cain, Moses Price, Charles Dominy and George Sheaff built a store, building across the street west from the Ancient Order United Workmen Building, and Mr. Cain moved his store into the new building.  The store is of brick and was erected at a cost of
$7,000. W. V. Gauvreau, son of E. L. Gauvreau of Hastings, purchased the business of Mr. Cain in 1914 and is the present proprietor of the store.
     At about the same time that the store was built H. C. Redman, of Doniphan, erected the bank building at a cost of about $3,300.  The hotel built by S. L. Loucks in 1879 was moved from the west side of the street to the east side in about 1896 and converted into a store building, now the location of the mercantile business of Kennedy Bros., with the Independent Order Odd Fellows Hall up stairs.  S. M. Frink conducted the first store in this building, the business afterwards being bought by Silas Price and at a later time by Charles F. Matheny, now proprietor of a store in Ayr.  After Mr. Matheny left, the store was vacant and was used as a store room by W. O. Cain.  At another time, Henry Keller's meat market was located here.
     I. A. Carriker, now of Hastings, erected an eight-room hotel in Hansen in 1885, and added a six-room addition in 1904.  Mr. Carriker conducted the hotel until 1908, and then rented it.  It was not run as a hotel from 1913 to 1916, when Mr. Carriker sold it to Mr. Zimmerman of Grand Island.
     Hansen was surveyed in 1879 for A. B. Ideson and J. J. Wemple on the entry of Charles and William Haines.  The postoffice was established in 1879 with James McGregor, the first postmaster.  While some matters relative to the mail were being adjusted between the railroad and the Government, Mr. McGregor transported the mail between Hastings and Hansen on his back.  J. F. Evans was

Page 393 -
appointed in 1881 and was succeeded in 1882 by Jacob Smith.  Other postmasters have been Walter Stone, S. M. Frink, F. M. Frink, Charles F. Matheny, Charles Matheny and W. O. Cain.
     The first movements that resulted in the organization of the Presbyterian Church at Hansen were made in the early '70s by John Powers and his brother, Aaron Powers. The Powers brothers organized Sunday schools in their respective districts.  These two Sunday schools were combined in what is known as the Munroe schoolhouse, which is centrally located between the two former districts.
     At this place the Presbyterian Society was organized, Sept. 7, 1879, the Rev. G. L. Little acting as moderator and Rev. D. S. Schaff as clerk of the meeting for organizing. After the coming of the railroad and the establishing of the Town of Hansen, plans were made to erect a house of worship in the village.  The church was erected in 1884 under the direction of a building committee composed of L. A. Dominy, John Powers and A. A. Stone.  The church, which is still in use, was erected at a cost of about $2,000.
     The charter members were Mr. Alanson Baker and wife, J. L. Brockover and wife, Ryneas Covert and wife, Lafayette Dominy and wife, Jonathan Oldfield and wife, the families of John, Charles A. and Aaron F. Powers, William Palmerton and wife, William H. Reese and wife, James W. Smith and family, Augustus A. Stone and family, Letas W. Stone and wife, Henry E. Ware and wife, Mrs. Isabella Carpenter, Mrs. Elizabeth Gregg, Philopena Huf, Mrs. Nancy Mowers, Laura Mowers, and Ella Mowers.  The first elders were Aaron F. Powers, John H. Powers, and William Palmerton.  The Hastings and Hansen Presbyterian Church were combined in a double charge for many years, the pastors of the Hastings church being in charge of the service in the country.  Among the early pastors of the Hastings church were the Revs. Mr. Griffis, D. S. Schaff, Peter Wessels, E. A. McCullum, H. K. Bushnell and F. M. Hickok and Reverend Howie, Rev. W. H. Steele served from 1893 to 1898; A. M. Hendee, 1898 to 1900; W. E. Reed, 1901; Reverend Howie, 1902 to 1904; D. S. Brown, 1904 to 1906; W. H. Scoffield, 1906 to 1909; A. B. Byram, 1909 to 1913; James B. Kelso, 1913 to 1915.  Rev. Samuel Linn has been the pastor since 1915.  The church now has 72 active members and the Sunday school a membership of about 120.  The present officers are: Elders, S. O. Cooper, George Munroe, Orville Smith, R. L. Boehne. Trustees, S. O. Cooper, C. G. Briggs, W. C. Harrell, A. H. Bauman, J. J. Mohlman.
     The United Evangelical Church at Hansen was organized early in 1901 by Rev. Arthur E. Miller, pastor of the church at Hastings.

Page 394 -
The same year the church was built, with a seating capacity of 200.  The church was paid for partly by subscription and partly by appropriation from the general conference.  The complete list of the charter members has been lost, but among them were Eugene, Lloyd, Clifford and Cora McWhirter, Cora, Crissie and Nora Montague, Mrs. Nellie Price, Jane Trembly and Frank White.  The Rev. Mr. Beebe, Mr. Miller's successor at Hastings, had charge of the pastorate until March, 1904.  At that time Rev. W. J. Ely took this charge in connection with the Columbia church, seven miles northwest of Hastings, and the Zion church, thirteen miles northwest of Hastings, in Hall County.  The latter church is now called the Rosedale church.  The pastors serving the church following Reverend Ely have been the following: Arthur P. Layton, 1905 to 1908; C. F, Hein, 1908 to 1910; W. W. Urdenkoffler, 1910 to 1912; H. C. Farley, 1912 to 1913; W. W. Phantz, 1913 to 1914; J. L. Lobaugh, 1914 to 1916; F. M. P. Bayles has been the pastor since the beginning of 1916.  The Columbia church has disbanded.
     Congress Lodge No. 173, I. O. O. F., was instituted at Hansen Dec. 6, 1889.  The charter members were D. M. Morris, S. M. Frink, John Wilson, B. F. Barr, J. H. Allen, Winthrop Jones, Howard Stire, W. B. Brown, F. J. Taylor, H. E. Ashley, and Fred Albright.  The first officers were:  S. M. Frink, N. G.; J. H. Allen, V. G.; D. M. Warden, W.; B. F. Barr,  con.; Howard Stire, R. S.; Winthrop Jones, P. S.; John Wilson, treasurer; W. B. Brown, R. S. N. G.; H. E. Ashley, L. S. V. G.; F. J. Taylor, I. G.  The lodge was instituted by W. H. Barger, state grand master.
     Congress Lodge now has forty-nine members, who meet in their well-appointed lodge rooms upstairs in the brick building occupied by the Kennedy Bros. mercantile establishment.  The present officers are H. A. Hubbard, N. G.; F. C. Grimm, V. G.; F. A. Stock, secretary, and Walter Rhodes, treasurer.
     Hansen Rebekah Lodge No. 120, was organized June 21, 1915, and has a membership of thirty-eight.  The first officers were Mrs. Minnie Frank, N. G.; Mrs. Christina Darling, V. G.; Maude Briggs, secretary; Ruth McWhirter, treasurer.  The officers at present are Mrs. Lulu Rhodes, N. G.; Maude Briggs, V. G.; Ruth McWhirter, secretary; Miss Marjorie McWhirter, treasurer.
     Hansen A. O. U. W. Lodge, No. 190, has a membership of thirty-six.  It was organized in 1894, and in 1901 erected a building at a cost of about $1,850.  The present officers are Martin Crosson, master workman; overseer, L. Dominy; forman, Frank Lanfear; financier, C. G. Briggs; recorder, A. A. Stone.


VIEW OF MAIN STREET, HANSEN

Page 395 -

     Hansen Camp, No. 7620, M. W. A., was organized Feb. 5, 1900, by Deputy Head Consul G. H. Shelley.  The officers elected were Charles M. Dominy, consul; David J. Binfield, worthy adviser; Augustus Albright, banker; Alvin M. Hendee, clerk; managers, Lorenzo Lewis, Charles J. Silver and G. S. Robertson
     The charter members were Charles M. Dominy, D. J. Binfield, Lorenzo Lewis, Charles J. Silver, G. S. Robertson, Harry Tompkins, James Trembly and F. M. Frink.  Deaths have been as follows: Mercey E. Williams, Mar. 16, 1913; Peter Lorenson, Sept. 1, 1914; Arthur C. Hart, Nov. 3, 1916.
     The present officers are: Benjamin F. McWhirter, consul; D. J. Binfield, adviser; Thomas Wynn, banker; Fenton M. Frink, clerk; managers, George A. Munroe, George E. Devereaux and Albert H. Bauman.
    
The lodge now has thirty-seven members.

MUNROE DRUM CORPS

     On Sept. 23, 1872, a little caravan of seven covered wagons started from Allen's Grove, Wis., to seek their home in Nebraska.  One month later, October 22d, the seven families of William Munroe, Del Snyder, Andrew Wheeler, Jehial Farr, C. B. Sperry, Ed. Guernesy and Levi Eddy arrived at the home of Simon Dow, just south of where Hastings College now stands.
     Just as they neared Hastings, which was only a few straggling houses, Mr. Sperry called to Mr. Munroe to play the drum in welcome to their new home.  It was the first time that the Munroe drums were heard in Adams County.  Hastings took to Mr. Munroe's drum from the first, and on July 4, 1873, the drum corps played at the celebration.  This was the first time that the fife and drum were heard in Hastings.
     Among the early players were Jacob Smith, record of whose death will be found in the G. A. R. chapter: Ezra Dominy, now living in Canada; A. J. Kindig, of Doniphan; S. O. Cooper, of Hansen, and Mr. Poole of Hastings.  Charles Bigelow played with the corps from the beginning.  Among the later members have been Roy Van Fleet, Frank Swigart and Arthur Dominy.
     The drum corps is almost as old as Adams County, and many a political meeting and celebration has been enlivened by its stirring strains.
     Of the seven families that arrived in the county with Mr. Munroe and settled on homesteads near Hastings, Mr. Munroe along still

Page 396 -
holds the original entry.  Del Snyder lives in the Soldiers' Home at Burkett.  All the others are dead.

ROSELAND

     The survey of the Village of Roseland was completed by E. G. Groff April 20, 1887.  It was located by the surveyor on the south west quarter of section 21, town 6, range 11, the townsite containing 89.25 acres, less twelve acres which were the right of way of the K. C. & O. Railroad.  May 27, 1889, the town was incorporated, the boundary lines being fixed as follows: Commencing at the northeast corner of section 22 in Roseland Township, thence west to the north east corner of section 20, thence west to the half-section stake in section 20, thence south one mile to the center of section 29, thence east to the northwest corner of section 28, thence south to the south west corner of section 28, thence east to the southeast corner of section 27, thence north to the southeast corner of section 22, thence north to the place of beginning.
     The first trustees of the village were W. C. Davis, J. S. Richards, C. W. Gentsch and J. H. Pope.
     In an action brought by W. P. Davis shortly after the incorporation of the town, the court decreed that sections 22, 27, 28, the east half of section 20, the north half of section 21 and the southwest quarter of section 21 be disconnected.  The large area included in the original corporation was included in order to have within the limits of the village the requisite number of signers for the granting of saloon license.
     B. F. Evans, who arrived in Adams County Mar. 26, 1873, and who now resides at 409 Saunders Avenue, Hastings, selected the name of Roseland, which is the name of both township and town.  A post office was established in the home of Mr. Evans on the northeast quarter of section 22 a few years before there was a town at Roseland.  Mr. Evans was appointed postmaster Aug. 19, 1875, and was given the privilege of naming the postoffice.  A great many wild roses grew in the vicinity at that time and Mr. Evans thought that it would be fitting that the word "rose" should form a part of the name of the postoffice.  He consulted the United States Directory of Postoffices and found that there were a number of offices in which the name "rose" appeared.  There were only three Roselands, however, and this led to his selecting the name.  So the Roseland postoffice was the fourth postoffice in the United States to bear that name.  Mr. Evans retained his homestead until 1914, when he disposed of it for $15,000.

Page 397 -

      The first child to be born in the vicinity of Roseland was Frances Boyd, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Boyd, Feb. 18, 1873.  The first death was that of William Dieter, July 4, 1873.
     It is the recollection of Mr. B. F. Evans that a child born to Mr. and Mrs. Peter Shade was the first child to be born in Hastings.  The Shades were of a party of Illinois folks who arrived in Hastings in 1873, early in the spring, and went to Roseland Township to settle upon their homesteads.  The child was born in the section house of the St. Joseph & Denver City Railroad, Mar. 29, 1873.
     J. S. Richards opened the first general store in Roseland, in 1887.  Mr. Richards moved the store building from Ayr.  J. H. Schmitz, now of Clay Center, but who is well known in Hastings as a carpenter, established the second business house in the town.  Mr. Schmitz built a new store building, shortly after Mr. Richards had established his business, and stocked it with hardware.  During 1887, also, W. F. Duncan and J. P. Duncan put up an elevator.
     In 1888 an elevator was put up by Schwab & Pope.  This firm was afterward Pope & Kapser, and later J. H. Pope conducted the business alone.  Mr. Pope sold the elevator in 1902 to the corporation of farmers that still operates the elevator.  This corporation is another farmers' organization which has achieved notable success in Adams County.  The original organizers were Erick Johnson, Erick Larsen, B. F. Evans, Charles Johnson, Gottlieb Fischer, A. W. Evans, and others.  M. J. Stotzel has been the manager of this business for many years.  Some years this organization has paid a dividend of 10 per cent on the stock.  In addition to grain, hogs are bought.  Among the earliest raisers of winter wheat in the vicinity of Roseland were A. W. Evans, J. S. Kendall and P. W. Warner.  The first wheat of this variety was sown about 1889.
     J. S. Richards, who opened the first store, sold his general merchandise stock to E. F. Miller and F. A. Miller about 1893.  The business alone was sold and the Miller Bros, operated the store in the Richards BuildingF. A. Miller later disposed of his interest to Harve Walters.  In after years Mr. Walters was a barber in Hastings, where he died a few years ago.  Harve Walters sold his interest in the business to Louis Eversman, who eventually sold it to Irvin Martin, the present partner in the firm of Miller & Martin.
     J. .S. Richards, who had removed from Roseland upon selling his business to the Miller Bros., returned and reengaged in business in his building.  After conducting the business about a year, Mr. Richards sold it to his son-in-law, Ed Joynt, selling the real estate with the business.  Mr. Joynt then moved his own store building, in which

Page 398 -
he had carried on business for some time, to the location he had acquired upon buying the Richards property.  The Richards store was then moved back, Mr. Joynt's original store becoming the front.  It was about 1907 that Mr. Joynt sold the business to Frank Hogg.  Recently Ernest McCue has become the business partner of Mr. Hogg.
     Frank Waugh erected a building and engaged in the confectionery business about 1893, and after conducting the business a year or more, sold to Eugene Duncan, who operated the little store until his death early in 1894.  In February, 1905, Solomon Favinger purchased the confectionery and restaurant business originated by Waugh, and shortly afterward W. F. Duncan erected a store building on the second lot south of Mr. Favinger's location.  Mr. Favinger moved into the new building and opened a general merchandise business, which he conducted for nine years, when he sold the business to Miller & Walters.  Before the return of Mr. Richards to Roseland the firm of Miller & Walters had moved their stock of goods into the building erected by U. Engleman in 1888 for a saloon building.
     The first hotel in Roseland was erected by Thomas Carter, who conducted it for many years.  This building which was built shortly after the town was started, still stands.
     H. H. Cherry conducted a general store in Roseland for a time, and was burned out in the early '90s.
     The first postmaster, B. F. Evans, was succeeded by Alexander RogersMr. Rogers was followed by U. Engleman, who erected a small building in which he conducted a hardware store in connection with the postoffice.  Thomas Carter was the next postmaster, and was followed by Rufus W. LullMr. Lull put in a small stock of groceries and ran the store as well as the postoffice.  The grocery developed eventually into a general merchandise store which Mr. Lull conducted until his death in December, 1894.  Mrs. Delila Lull became postmistress after the death of her husband, and was succeeded by Alfred W. Evans, the son of B. F. EvansMr. Evans died in December, 1905, and was succeeded in the postoffice by his wife.  The next postmasters were O. D. Barras, followed by Charles M. Caton, who served until the appointment of the present postmaster, Robert G. Lynch.
     A. H. Brooke
, now of Hastings, conducted the first drug store in Roseland, opening in 1891.  Mr. Brooke was in the business through 1891 and 1892 and then disposed of the business to D. S. Phelps, now of Bladen.
     School was opened for the first time in the Village of Roseland

Page 399 -
Dec. 24, 1888.  The completion of the school building had delayed the opening so late in the year that it opened at the first opportunity, regardless of the fact that the next day would he Christmas.  The present county judge, John Snider, was principal of the school, and  Mrs. A. H. Brooke, of Hastings now, then Alice Baugh, was the primary teacher.
     The Methodists and the United Brethren of the vicinity of Roseland united to build a church about 1883 on Solomon Favinger's farm, 1½ miles southwest of Roseland.   Not very long after the town was established they moved the church house into the village.  In about ten years the Methodists secured a building from a disbanded Methodist congregation in the country and moved the building to Roseland.  This building is the present church home of the denomination.  The United Brethren disbanded and the church which they had previously owned jointly with the Methodists was bought by J. V. Beardsley and wrecked in 1915.
     Will Maupin conducted a newspaper for about six months in the early days of Roseland.  For several years prior to his death the Roseland Gazette was conducted by Alfred W. Evans.
     Aug. 25, 1913, the stores of Miller & Martin, Roth Bros., and Frank Miller were destroyed by fire.  In that year brick buildings were erected to replace the loss by Roth Bros., who conduct a hardware, furniture and undertaking business, Miller & Martin, and Dr. J. L. Mace.
     The town hall, a brick structure, was completed in December, 1912.  It was built by the corporation of Roseland.
     Roseland has electric lights, a privately owned plant.  The Roseland Electric Light Company was incorporated Dec. 15, 1913, with a capital stock of $10,000, the corporation to terminate Dec. 15, 1938.  The incorporators were Gus Bourg, William F. Duncan, John B. Roth and Irvin Martin.
     A. S. Richards, who started the first mercantile business in Roseland, died at Ayr, Feb. 20, 1905.

PAULINE.

     Pauline is located on the Missouri Pacific and the Burlington railroads, in Little Blue Township.  It came into being with the K. C. & O. Railroad in 1887.  It was named in honor of Pauline S. Ragan, of Hastings, wife of John M. Ragan, who was general attorney for the railroad.  The town was built on the farm of James B. McCleery

Page 400 -
on the east half of the northwest quarter of section 9.  Pauline has not been incorporated.
     The store now occupied by M. M. Abbott was the first to be built in the town and was erected in 1887.  It was built by Duncan & Jeffries, who conducted a general store for about three years and then sold to Phineas Townsend Mr. Townsend ran the store about four years and then removed his stock to Iowa.  John Moran, who lived on a farm south of Pauline, was the next man to operate this store.  About this time the building was moved east to its present location.  John McCleery and Cash Fairman followed Mr. Moran in the business, and they were followed successively by Bert Port and S. True.  After Mr. True went out of business the store was vacant for about six months, and then Harvey Abbott opened a store which was bought by the present proprietor, M. M. Abbott, who conducted a grocery in Hastings for several years.
     The second store to be erected in Pauline was built in 1887 by S. L. Heaps, who lived on a farm about three miles south of the town.  Pat Cronin operated a general store in this building for many years, until ht built his own building about 1891.  During the next year the building erected by Mr. Heaps was destroyed by fire.
     Pat Cronin disposed of his stock to C. H. McCulloch about 1895, and in about two years Mr. McCulloch sold to R. O. Slater, now of Sutherlin, Ore.  At about the time Mr. Slater purchased the business from Mr. McCulloch, T. T. Jones purchased the store building from Pat Cronin for his daughter, Mrs. R. O. Slater, who still owns the building.  Mr. Slater eventually sold his business and stock to R. Abel and later to Mr. Abel moved the stock to another town.  It was in Mrs. Slater's building that Carl McClerry opened the first drug store in Pauline, about 1907.  Mr. McCleery soon sold the drug business to Ernest Harrett, who sold it to the present proprietor, Clarence Taylor, of Guide Rock.
     In the fall of 1891 Miss Nellie Jones, now Mrs. Isaac Franklin built the brick store building in which the general store of Carl McClerry is now located.  Miss Jones conducted the store about five years before Mr. McCleery purchased the business.  The store in which May & May are located was erected by Mr. Purdy about six years ago.  Some three years ago Mr. Purdy sold to Ernest May, whose son, Arthur, is associated with him in the business.
     The first hardware store in Pauline was opened by B. K. West in 1888.  This store was destroyed by fire at the same time that the store erected by Mr. Heaps was burned.  The Marquis Brothers of Hastings, conducted a hardware store for a time in Pauline in a

Page 401 -
building that had been erected for a butcher shop by S. L. Heaps at the time that he built his store.
     It was in the early days of Pauline that F. C. Glazier came from Edgar and engaged in the implement business in Pauline.  In about 1901 Mr. Glazier built the hardware store he now occupies.  Mr. Glazier has associated with him his son, C. F. Glazier, and besides the hardware business, carries implements, windmills and pumps, automobiles, and operates a large general business.
     The first livery barn in Pauline was built by M. M. Parkins in 1888.  It was afterwards run by John Petit and Bert Foy.  It was eventually destroyed by fire.  A year or so after the burning of the first barn the present livery stable, owned by John Crandall, was built by Henry Johnson.
     The Farmers Grain & Supply Company's elevator started in 1888,
when Clyde Gaunt erected a shovel house on the Missouri Pacific.  Dow Black purchased the business from Gaunt and ran it until he sold to T. T. Jones and Ben Sherman, who in turn sold to the Farmers Grain &: Supply Company.  Elmer Jones is the present manager.
     The elevator now owned and operated by John McCleery was the first elevator to be built in Pauline.  It was erected by Charles Furrer.  It was owned successively by William Townsend and W. H. Ferguson and the Updike BrosJohn McCleery managed the business under the Updikes and bought it in 1908.
     The postmasters who have served in Pauline are Will Jeffries, the first postmaster, followed by Samuel Bechtelheimer, Pat Cronin. Charles McCulloch. R. O. Slater, Dan McCleery, Nellie Jones and the present postmaster, Carl McCleery.
     During the drought years, from 1893 to 1897, both the railway stations at Pauline were closed because of the almost total falling off of business.  The K. C. & O. depot at this time was moved from Pauline to the K. C. & O. junction with the Red Cloud line of the Burlington, where it later was destroyed by fire.  The present Burlington station at Pauline was moved from Leroy to its present location.
     The first blacksmith shop in Pauline was built by James B. McCleery and rented to Jerry Allen.
      James B. McCleery died in 1889.
     There is only one church in Pauline, the Methodist Episcopal, which was organized in 1884.  Among the first members were Mr. and Mrs. Sherman, Mr. and Mrs. Bauder, Mr. and Mrs. Carter, Mr. and Mrs. T. T. Jones.  The first church house was erected the same year that the class was organized.  The new church, within the village.

Page 402 -
was built in 1907, at a cost of $6,000.  A partial list of the pastors who have served the church is as follows: R. M. Hardman, 1884 to 1887; Almon Gore, E. L. Wolff, J. M. Correll, each one year successively after Mr. Hardman; T. W. Bean, 1890; W. C. Swartz, from 1897 to 1900; A. G. Blackwell, 1900 to 1902; L. F. Harman. 1902 to 1904; W. M. Brooks, 1904 to 1905; E. N. Tompkins, 1905 to 1908; W. H. Shoaf, 1908 to 1911; T. C. Priestly, 1911 to 1912; J. W. Bair, 1912 to 1913; R. B. E. Hill, 1913 to 1915; Alfred Chamberlain, 1915 to 1916.  The present pastor, the Rev. Mr. Thomas, has been the pastor in 1916.

AYR.

     The Village of Ayr, situated about twelve miles south of Hastings, in the valley of the Little Blue River, was established in September, 1878.  It was named in honor of Doctor Ayr, of Iowa, who was then one of the directors of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad.
     The land at that time was the property of private parties, and portions of it had previously been obtained from the railroad company, having been included in the land grant.  Those owning the land were John Ratcliffe, who owned section 33 of the railroad land: east of this a quarter section, property of A. C. Moore; one quarter section on the east belonging to Ayers Goble; while south of Goble's land and west of Moore's joines the quarters owned by Professor Meyers.
     The town started after the building of the railroad in 1878, in consideration that the parties owning the land were to donate every other lot, or half of the townsite, to the company, providing they locate a station at that joint.
     O. D. Barras built the first house on the village site, a small frame dwelling, in October, 1878.  The next improvement was the erection in November of the same year of a two-story frame hotel, by R. C. Fleming.  The same fall, T. C. Fleming and A. L. West built a storeroom and opened a business house with a general stock of merchandise.  Immediately following, R. C. Gregg also built a storehouse and opened the first drug store, which he afterward sold to Koehler & PahrPahr later bought the interest of his partner and had control of the business.  Late in the fall of 1878, John S. Richards opened a grocery store, McMillan & Hull a general store, and M. S. & T. J. Edgington started a business, dealing in hardware.  In the summer of 1879, Henry Gund & Company built a large grain elevator, and John Robinson opened a livery barn.

Page 403 -

     In 1878, A. Peck and Henry Howe put up a building, which was used for a saloon for a time, but, as the business did not flourish, the saloon was closed and the building later used as a schoolhouse.  In the fall of 1879, Isaac Vanderwart built a blacksmith shop, and the same fall the Commercial Hotel was built by A. J. Pate and Rev. J. Fleming erected a building known as Church Hall, to be utilized for religious purposes, in the building of which he used his own capital.
     The educational facilities of Ayr were about equal to those of the average country district, and the school was kept in a building situated about half a mile north of town.  The first school was taught in the winter of 1878-79, by John Gainor, a true son of the Emerald Isle.  Gainor was generally considered an excellent teacher, having had a splendid education, and, with that amusing manner so characteristic of his race, he won the good will and admiration of all his pupils, his only crime being an excessive love for the intoxicating bowl.  He was employed by the school board to teach a second term, but at the close of school, in the spring of 1879, he "went on a big spree," which lasted several days.  Chagrined and mortified by his conduct, he secretly left the place and did not return.
     A postoffice was established at Ayr in 1879.  Previous to this date it was kept at a place called Gilson, about two miles north of the townsite.  E. H. Scott was postmaster, and it was through his efforts and influence that the office was moved from Gilson to Ayr.  Scott held the position of postmaster up to the spring of 1881, and was succeeded in office by James Bovard.
     The first religious services were held by the Rev. J. Fleming, a Presbyterian missionary laboring under the auspices of that denomination.  The church was organized in the winter of 1878-79, with a membership of thirty.  The services were held in Church Hall, a building erected by Mr. Fleming.
     In the spring of 1879 a Methodist congregation was organized under the direction of Elder Lemons, then presiding elder of the district.  The Rev. John Holland was their first regular pastor, remaining with the congregation one year.
     Dr. S. A. Bookwalter was the first practicing physician to locate in the village, having made his advent in the summer of 1879.
     A lumber and coal yard was started in 1879 by William Laughlin and Cyrus McMillan.  In 1880 Mortimer Kress and W. S. Moot moved a large two story building from Millington to Ayr, using the first story for a storeroom and fitting the upper floor for a town hall.
     The first deaths were those of Henry Harm's twin infants, in

Page 404 -
October, 1881.  The first child born was Harvey Fleming, son of T. C. and Esther J. Fleming.
     Notwithstanding the excellent location of the village, its growth, although promising at first, declined rapidly.
     Only one attempt was made at journalism at Ayr.  A paper called the Ayr Times was established in January, 1882, the first issue of which was made on the 14th of that month.  In size, the sheet was a six-column quarto, was republican in politics, and had a regular issue of 360 copies.  The paper was edited and published by Watkins Brothers, the firm being composed of three brothers - C. L., G. M. and F. A. Watkins.  The journal was of patent inside.  Besides the editorial work, the firm did considerable job work.
     Ayr was incorporated May 1, 1883, the corporation embracing the following territory:  The southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 33, the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 34, the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 3, and the east half of the northeast quarter of section 4.  The portions in sections 33 and 34 are in Ayr Township and the remainder in Zero.
     The first trustees were H. P. Rowe, A. C. Moore, W. W. Phar, S. E. McMurry, and J. S. Richards.
    
The grain elevator which Henry Gund & Co. built in 1879 was destroyed by fire in 1902.  The building moved by Mortimer N. Kress and W. S. Moot still stands in the town and is the property of the A. O. U. W., who have their hall in the upper story.
     The I. O. O. F. have a well-appointed hall in the upper room of the brick building in which the general store of C. F. Matheny is located.
     Previously Mr. E. H. Scott and James Bovard have been mentioned as being the postmasters.  Subsequently Mortimer N. Kress was postmaster from 1889 to 1883, Henry Howe from 1893 to 1897, Robert Ratcliffe from 1897 to 1913.  The present postmistress, Mrs. Robert Zachary, has served since 1913.
     Ayr now has two general stores, one conducted by Henry Howe, who has been in business in the village since its founding, and the other by C. F. Matheny, who was in business in Hansen at one time.  Mr. Matheny purchased the business from George Overstreet in the summer of 1916.  Mathew Ureling conducts a hardware store and Harley Jeffers has a restaurant and confectionery store.  Frank Fehringer has a barber shop and Mr. Ratcliffe a blacksmith shop.  John Helmann manages the lumber yard for the Coon Lumber Company, and Lon Davis has a livery barn.  The implement business is conducted by H. Roeder, with whom is associated his son, Arthur

Page 405 -
Roeder.  The elevator is owned by the Farmers Grain & Supply Company and is managed by Guy Bonham.
    
The Methodist Episcopal Church erected a house of worship in 1893 at a cost of about $1,200.  George Moore was the contractor.  The present church, which was erected at a cost of about $2,200, was completed in June, 1910, Jay Gobel being the contractor.  Among the earliest members of the Methodist Church in Ayr were Adam Reader, George Eastwood, George Parks, W. W. Philleo, Mrs. Josie Scott, Mrs. Laura Easter, John Giddings and A. M. Jeffers, Rev. Rex Barr is the present pastor.
    
The brick store building in which the general store of C. F. Matheny is located was built in 1910 by the I. O. O. F., but came into the possession of Sherman Woodworth about two years ago, the lodge retaining a 99-year lease upon the lodge room on the upper floor.

PROSSER.

     That Prosser, located eight miles west and six miles north of Hastings, turned out to be a town and not a sheep ranch was a surprise.  At least it was a surprise to George S. Parks, who was among the first to be interviewed by agents of the Pacific Railroad looking for a townsite.  The railroad was built into Hastings in 1887, but was not pushed through to Prosser until the following spring.  Before the grading of the road had reached Adams County, even before the $125,000 bonds had been voted, Cameron Yeazel was looking for a townsite in the vicinity of Prosser.
     Mr. Yeazel left Mr. Parks under the impression that he was representing some eastern capitalists who desired to start a sheep ranch in that part of the country if they could find some cheap land.  It was after a survey had been made that Mr. Parks learned that at a point where a white post had been set on the southeast quarter of section 5, Verona Township, a town was to be established, Juniata was considerably disturbed about the location of Prosser, and Juniata had to be satisfied that the new town would be located at a safe distance from their town before they would support the bonds in aid of the Pacific Railroad.

    
In the spring of 1888, L. J. Ware built the first general store in the new town.  At about the same time B. F. Barr opened a lumber yard and E. G. Collins built an elevator.  The second grocery store was built by E. L. Price.  The hotel which was built early in the history of the town by a Mr. Dietrich and which was called for many years the Pacific Hotel, still stands near the station.

Page 406 -

     A second hotel, a very creditable hostelry, was built by Fred Stoelting a few years before a fire destroyed the hotel.  J. G. Heartwell's drug store and the store which had been erected by E. L. Price, but which at the time of the fire was occupied by Morledge & Blake, and the first blacksmith shop, which had been erected by Joseph Philbrick, were destroyed in the same fire about 1902.
     Shortly after the fire a general merchandise store was built by the brothers, J. G. and M. R. Jones.  The Jones Bros, sold to F. R. Daggett and Charles W. Manahan.  Mr. Daggett bought the interest of his partner and now operates the store alone.  Mr. Manahan resides in Hastings.
     The general merchandise business which G. W. Pratt now conducts had its origin when S. W. Smith purchased the first school house built in Prosser and converted it into a store. Mr. Smith sold to Charles A. Porter, of Heartwell, and Mr. Porter disposed of the business to Mr. Pratt.  The first store was started by Mr. Ware, and James Bacon later purchased the interest of Mr. Ware, who went to Illinois.  The business was successively operated by Charles McCulloch and John StonerMr. Stoner managed the business for Trimble, Blackman & Alexander, of Hastings, until the grocery was discontinued, when B. J. Symonds moved into the store and there conducted his drug business.
     For several years before he became superintendent of the Ingleside Hospital for the Insane, Dr. M. W. Baxter was located at Prosser, succeeding Dr. C. J. Yates.
     Prosser was not incorporated until August 13, 1907.  Those petitioning for incorporation were F. R. Daggett, P. J. Robinson, T. E. Bowlin, F. H. Schafer, Charles Moritz, L. Katzberg, W. H. Schumann, L. P. Burnham, T. J. Killion, H. F. Moore, August Katzberg. J. W. Benge, J. C. Pratt, G. W. Pratt, D. L. Hare, William Flowerdew, George F. Miller, A. L. Gilmore, J. G. Kent, S. W. Smith, D. C. Hinds, C. C. Robinson, S. G. Moore, D. W. Miles, R. O. Wirfel, C. H. Hudson, Charles Stanley, Frank A. Kuehn, J. B. Symonds, D. M. McMakin, M. W. Baxter, M. P. Creager.  The first trustees were M. W. Baxter, Charles Moritz, F. R. Daggett, F. H. Moore and T. J. Killion.  The incorporated area embraced 210 acres on parts of sections 5, 8 and 9.
     The administration of the second board of trustees is notable for initiating the building of cement sidewalks in Prosser against a spirited opposition.  But though received at first with much disfavor, this improvement has been extended until Prosser has as good sidewalks as any town of its size.  The trustees when this movement was begun

Page 407 -
were G. W. Pratt, Charles Moritz, C. H. Hudson, M. W. Baxter and H. F. Moore.  E. H. Grounds was the village clerk.
     S. W. Smith was the first postmaster at Prosser.  He was succeeded by George S. Moore, who in turn was succeeded by James Crow, who also conducted the first hardware store.  After Mr. Crow, Henry Moore became postmaster, holding the office until his death.  Mrs. Moore was then postmistress until succeeded by the present postmaster, R. L. Woods.
     The hall which is used for a lodge room and general social center was erected by the A. O. U. W.
     The elevator now operated by the Vernona Grain & Lumber Company was originally operated by W. H. Ferguson, who sold it to the Farmers Grain & Stock Company.  Charles M. Moritz was the manager under this company.  The Farmers Grain & Stock Company sold the business to the present owners, the Verona Grain & Lumber Company.  Earl Grounds is the manager.  This company was incorporated, Mar. 28, 1911, with a capital stock of $10,000.  The incorporators were E. E. Binfield, G. H. Geddes, Bert Mott, William Conroy and G. C. Gilmore.  In the early days of the grain business in Prosser, Simon Bechtelheimer bought grain on the track.
     Prosser was named in honor of T. J. Prosser, of Concordia, Kan., who was superintendent of the construction force that built the Pacific road into the town.
     There is only one church in Prosser, the Methodist Episcopal.  The first Sunday school was conducted in the Pacific Station, with L. J. Ware acting as superintendent.  Within a year the church had organized and erected a church house at a cost of about five hundred dollars.  That church, with additions and improvements, is still in use.  Among the first members were J. Morgan, L. J. Ware, George S. Parks, Dow Steadman and
Miles W. Knapp.
 


 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ADAMS COUNTY, NEBRASKA

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
STATE OF NEBRASKA

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GENEALOGY EXPRESS

GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights